While breast augmentation is the most popular of all plastic surgery procedures in the United States today, many women are not interested in the traditional round silicone and saline implants. Women who seek a more natural look may want to consider a special type of form stable implants called gummy bear implants.
What Are Gummy Bear Implants?
Gummy bear implants are shaped like a teardrop, with a smaller top that gently widens at the bottom. This closely replicates the look of the natural breast, allowing for the most natural appearance of any implants on the market today. The gummy bear implants contain a thicker silicone gel than traditional implants so that they can hold their shape. Because the gel is so thick, the consistency will not waver even if the implant were to be cut in half. This texture leads to the nickname of gummy bear implants. Although these implants are not right for every woman, they can give the right candidate excellent long lasting results.
Advantages of Gummy Bear Implants
Gummy bear implants are becoming so popular for several reasons. They have some major advantages, including:
- Natural Look: The biggest trend in breast implants right now is natural. Many women want implants that don’t actually look like they are implants, and the gummy bear material can accomplish this natural look easily.
- Less Fragile: Another major advantage of the gummy bear implants is that they are less fragile than traditional silicone or saline implants. Gummy bear implants are less likely to rupture, leak, or fold than other implant types thanks to their thicker construction.
- Shape Retention: Gummy bear implants retain their shape better than traditional silicone or saline implants do. The natural teardrop shape will not tend to shift or alter with the gummy bear material.
Disadvantages of Gummy Bear Implants
While gummy bear implants have minimal drawbacks, the following disadvantages are possible.
- Larger Incision: This type of implant may require a larger incision for ideal placement. Due to their firmer texture, gummy bear implants can’t be compressed and then reformed once they are inside the chest cavity. This does typically mean a larger surgical scar, but not in all cases. Smaller gummy bear implants may not require an incision that is any larger than a traditional implant incision.
- Firmer Implants: The unique gummy bear material is firmer than traditional silicone or saline implant material. Some women may find this firmer feel to be less natural than their own breast tissue. In particular, gummy bear implants may feel noticeably firmer than saline implants.
- Implant Rotation: While rare, it is possible for gummy bear implants to rotate. If this occurs, it may cause an unusual appearance in which the breast would have more fullness at the top and less at the bottom. Due to the heavier portion of the gummy bear implant being placed at the bottom part of the breast, implant rotation will not occur in most women.
Ready to Schedule a Consult?
Questions about gummy bear implants, or about breast augmentation surgery in general? The staff at Patterson Plastic Surgery is here to help. Click below to schedule a consultation where you can discuss the right type of breast implants for your body today!